Thursday, June 30, 2005

My Wife is Spotting

I am teaching my wife how to work out with weights. Today, I had her "spot" me. I used all of the pedagogical techniques at my disposal to teach her how to spot somebody. First, I showed her what to do, using verbal directions as well as visual demonstrations. I told her where to stand, and I even repeated the directions. Then I began doing curls. As I reached muscle failure on my last set, my arm slowly urged the dumb-bell up and then stopped only half-way through the rep. My wife stood there staring at me, the dumb-bell, and, without moving an inch, said "Ah, naw, you're done." After I collapsed and finished cursing, I explained to her that "Ah, naw, you're done" might not be the most appropriate method of helping somebody achieve their goal. In fact, "spotting" means your supposed to help the person you're spotting (not to be confused with heckling). I did two more reps with my wife reluctantly pushing the dumb-bell up with her hand while silently giggling at the strangeness of the whole thing. I could tell exactly what she was thinking: "If it's so damn hard why don't you just stop, jackass!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home