Thursday, September 21, 2006

Liars and Tigers and Bears

I sent the story written by one of my freshman students (see Goldilocks Tastes like Stupid) to a friend, and she wrote back about another "myth" she actually made up. I'll let her tell it:

"Hopefully you never have my next door neighbor in your class. When he was about 4, I was babysitting him and we were watching a national geographic show about bears, and he wanted to know why some of the bears were white while others were brown or black, etc. I didn't really feel like explaining speciation to a 4 year old, so I just told him that if the mama bear fed the baby bear regular milk that he would be white. And if she fed the baby bear chocolate milk that he would be brown or black. He seemed content with the answer. Two weeks later his mom told me that griffin had only been drinking chocolate milk, even in his cereal. He refused white milk. So she asked him why, and he told her that he wanted to be black."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home